Saturday, October 10, 2009

Kiwi Food of the Week

This week’s food of the week is a beverage, an artform, a ritual which reveals the unspoken social divisions within the societies that use it. It is a fascinating subject for social scientists of all backgrounds because of the discussions it engenders about the nature of race, class, gender, and ethnicity. This post discusses none of that. It was knocked up on a coke-high at one am in a pikered attempt to fulfil both food of the week and Carolyn’s request before studying for finals. (Hence the lack of research or pictures.) I’d apologize, but this blog has seen enough “sorry!” to fill…lots of mugs.

Tea

Oh Kiwis, they love their tea. You know, 'cause they're British. Or Asian. Or Indian. Point is, they like a good cuppa. (good intro, right?) When I asked you guys what I should write about in a cheap bid for inspiration a few weeks ago, Carolyn said I should write about tea since I refered to myself as a "tea drinker." Well, that's not strictly true...

That was true, once . But that was a long time ago. Back when I woke up stiff and shivering to a frost-coated winterscape. Back when I felt a strange sort of kinship with the makers of jumpin jammerz. Oh, those were dark days indeed. I’d do anything for a bit of heat. Taking a shower made me feel like some sort of crazed heroine addict. Just thirty seconds more. A minute longer. Five more minutes. Can this go hotter? Oh, my skin is burning! Anything for a fix.

It was in this desperate state that tea entered my life. I’d see Lisa and Sanna happily sipping their steaming mugs and think, “Why not me? Why can’t I have tea too? Isn’t it Rachel’s turn for fulfilment?” I don’t like tea, I know this, but it only seemed right that’d I’d have something hot and steamy to wake up to. So I went to the store. Carolyn, you wanted to know what kinds of tea there are here. So many! It’s a glorious sight really- a whole aisle full! Teas made of and for everything. Herbal, medicinal, ones with fruits and flowers I'd never heard of. I felt intimidated and very American. I picked golden kiwi and vanilla-flavoured since the novelty of kiwi-flavoured food hadn’t worn off yet.

I managed to make myself excited when I got home and opened the box. (Surprise!) It smelled so wonderful I thought maybe, just maybe it would taste good. It didn’t. It tasted like tea. I don’t like tea. I don’t know how many times I have to prove it to myself but I just don’t like it. I suppose part of the problem is that I think I ought to, given my love of British culture and bizarre food combinations. Tea goes with my self image. But not my actual tastes. So, I drank it, indifferently, for twenty straight mornings until there were no more bags. When the box ran out my tryst with tea ended. Sure, I could try another flavour, another brand, but what’s the point? I think the problem is me. Sanna did tell me I make my tea the wrong way, “like the English” (Dumping hot water from the tap over the tea bag) Apparently the water doesn’t get hot enough this way. The burn on my forearm disagrees with her. It probably doesn’t help that I used to eat bags of tea during all-nighters back in high school. I cannot think of an adverb that describes how strongly I don’t advise this. I hysterically advise against this. I mean, I doubt too many other people would willingly try this, but, seriously, don’t.

There, I'm done. And I'm not even going to think about my blog until finals are over so I hope you've had your fill. Don't be greedy for the verse.

6 comments:

  1. Rachel I understand how you suffer! There are so many foods that I want to like but I just can't.Like mixed nuts, I really wish I could eat a handful without feeling nauseous. I can deal with them individually packaged, but when you put them all together... it's just not right OK? I would also really like to get into eating craisens, and I don't want to explain myself.
    oh! I forgot to tell you that Libbie has a new name, GArbAgE DiSpoZaL! Because she eats the kind of food that would better suit a garbage disposal.She came up with the caps and the alternative spelling.

    Could you bring back some crazy tea flavors? You know, for those who actually like tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dare you talk behind my back right in front of me, Molly! This is nothing but a repeat of the taco meat incident, where Molly informed me I neurotically carried around a bag of seasoned ground beef that I eat with my bare hands; this was followed by taunting from random strangers and a general consensus within my close circle of friends that I was becoming a liability to their appearance of normalcy. Are you spreading these vicious lies 'cause I wouldn't spread my vicious thighs? I told you, Molly, I have a test tomorrow that is only TEMPORARILY more important than my time with you, and that does not give you an excuse to ruin my good name on the interweb to literally millions of this blog's readers.

    Between this and my Greek baby, I'm starting to question my own reality and self-concept-- who is this Libbie? And why are there so many elaborate stories made up about her? Maybe I should start a blog. I think I'd call it, "Here's the Thing...: The Truth About Libbie: Disproving Molly Thomas, One Obnoxious Lie at a Time: A Memoir." That's right, THREE subtitles! Can you handle it? I don't know if the world deserves my drama, but I'm sure as hell going to give it to them.

    I don't drink tea, Rachel, but I still appreciated this post. Please do bring Molly back some tea; it will be nice for her to have an herbal supplement that won't give her huge biceps and a 'stache this time. If I go visit AcDec in the near future (unlikely), I'll be sure to share your secret to staying up all night with the aid of legal (?) substances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom: Stop with the frou frou teas. It's like trying to master creme brule before you've even done instant pudding. Start with the basics: green tea or black tea. Then work your way into Earl Grey tea or English Breakfast tea or even peach flavored green tea, if you insist. You really need to find suitable pick me up drinks (methinks). They have been used since mankind has had to get up in the morning. Keep trying. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly: Well, I guess I know what to get you now: tea and a sense of integrity. No one believes your lies anyway. Libbie may be an enigma to others and herself but if one thing's certain it's that she would only eat the most sophisticated of foods. If you stop insulting her she might even make some for you.

    Libbie: I would steal anything to read your blog. I love colons. I'm not sure how seven=millions but you were always better at math than me which is why you should come back with me and help AcDec in a way that actually helps them. I mean, it's not like you're too busy, is it? Not criticizing, just commenting.

    Mom: Don't you know your own daughter? I'm a creme brule kind of girl. I'm taking this as permission to make creme brule when I get back.
    I've tried tea and coffee and I don't care for either. The only pick-me-up drinks that are left are the kind typically reserved for liquid lunches. Guess I'll have to turn to drugs. That's on you.
    Much love to all my fans,
    Rachel Thomas, inspiration architect

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a tea kettle for Christmas.
    Signed, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I remember the feeling of horror during that crazed AcDec year, when you told me about eating tea bags by themselves... your left eye twitched, and you started laughing. Was that at the same time you were sleeping an hour, studying an hour, sleeping an hour, etc.?

    ReplyDelete