Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Kiwi Word of the Week

To compliment the Kiwi Food of the Week, this week's word is...

"Scull"

Like ginger beer, the term "scull" is also a relic of New Zealand's British past, probably. The exact etymology is contested but it seems to be British in origin1. The act of sculling, drinking beer as fast as you can, is a worldwide phenomenon, of course, but appears especially popular here. I'd wager it's even more popular than the iconic ginger beer, given New Zealand's well-documented drinking problem. The American equivalent, "chug" is an exact synonym. Both refer to drinking (any) beverage rapidly "in one go." However, my experience has taught me that if you're chugging/sculling a beverage, it's likely beer. And if it's beer, you're likely a Kiwi.

If you'd like to take a piss around the world, there are some things you ought to know. Subtle differences in meaning, even unspoken gestures can make or break your ability to communicate safely and effectively in a new culture. For example, if you and a beer find yourself surrounded by wild-eyed youths excitedly screaming a chant at you while pounding their fists, your life could be in danger. Or they might just want you to "down it". Context will help you determine which, but if you're still uncertain, I've complied a list of "chug" equivalents to help you out. None of them are verified.

Good ol' USA: chug/slam/pound, as in, "Pound that beer! Slam it! Down in one! WHOOOOO!"
Scandanavia: Skoal
Japan: Ikki! Ikki!
New Zealand Australia: scull as in, "Giz a squiz at that hoon sculling that stubby!"
Britain: Quaff/neck it, as in, "I say to you sir,
Canada: Shotgun- this refers to making hole in the the can and drinking the spilled beer as quickly as possible. Oh Canada, you find a way to make chugging beer even less classy.

1 After actually doing research, I realized that this is not likely. Scull is probably derived from the Swedish word skoal which actually refers to the cup being drunk from. It's got nothing to do with the rowing term "scull" which is why I assumed it was British, as much of Kiwi slang is. But I'll be damned if I'm thinking of another segue. I'm too beautiful for that.

"Ah've spilt more ale darn me waistcoat than 'ee's supped t'night!"

2 comments:

  1. You could have come to me on this one. As I was reading this post I was thinking the word is probably derived from the Norwegian "skaal" which used to mean bowl, but now means "cheers" (Not those damn Swedes and their "skoal". Ah, the many, many times I uttered this word. My personal favorite has always been the Italian "Cin, cin".

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah! good ol Rowsdower! Thats one guy I would never challenge to a drinking contest.... him and Courtney.

    ReplyDelete