Sunday, September 20, 2009

Kiwi Words of the Week

I doubt you noticed or cared that there was no word of the week last week. Or the week before that. Or the week before that. Even so, I care and I'm determined to make it up to you! Therefore, this week's word of the week is actually going to be three words, all relating to a subject I find deeply fascinating:

Bugger, Stuff You and Struth:
Zealand Prophanity
Bugger: Like much of Kiwi English, New Zealand slang is greatly influenced by British English. "Bugger" is a prime example. It's definitely British is origin, but it's an important part of the Kiwi lexicon. I think it's closest in meaning and offensiveness to to "damn" in America. Hardly offensive, but an indication that you'd really like to say something foul. It's a step up from "Well, goodness me!" (or Gee whiz! in American) but far more polite than...well, a lot of things, really. Despite its apparent mildness, its use in the infamous Toyota commercial back in '99 (click on the picture!) cause quite a bit of "controvo" (controversy).

In the interest of journalistic integrity, I asked my Niuen flatmate, Lili, about "bugger". Lili has lived in New Zealand for two years but she's spoken Kiwi English for since she was seven so I'm counting her as a proper authority. She said it might be offensive "to some." Like her grandmother who once gave her brother "a hiney" (spanking) for saying it .
Alternative versions:
buggered: exhausted
bugger all: very little (to know bugger all)
bugger off (or naff/raff off): get lost!


Stuff You! Or, alternatively, "get stuffed!" If you spend your
free time obsessively watching the same contemporary British sitcoms as I do, you'll know that "stuff you" was born and still thrives in merry old Britain. But, like a loveable London tramp, it has wandered, working its way into the hearts of New Zealanders along the way. It's also the only Kiwi slang prominently feature in Flight of the Conchords (that I can think of off the top of my head). Click of the picture to see what I mean!


Strewth: I hope I haven't given you the impression that New Zealand culture is entirely derived from Britainia. Assuredly, Kiwis are an industrious, inventive people. They build their own houses, grow their own food and fix just about anything with a bit of number-eight wire and hard yakka. They can very well make their own swears without bossy Britain's help, thank you!
"Strewth" is an example of this. Strewth, or rather "s'truth" is an abbreviation of "God's truth." Of course, this means it's likely a result of British-imported Anglicanism, but that's speculation. From the minimal amount of research I've done, I can safely say it's as Kiwi as marmite.
It's a good all-around swear for venting frustration but it can also mean "honestly." As in,
"Did you chuck the bin bags out the back?"
"Weren't me, mate. Strewth! Musta been the dodgy chippy!"


...and of course, no discussion of swearing would be complete without mentioning the big three: ass, shit and f@ck (which I'm deeming too offensive for the family-friendly blog). Shit is shit but ass is arse, which tickles me to no end. Especially when it's made into a compound noun: "smart-arsed" or in the phrase "He's the whole sheep's arse" (said about someone who's funny). The f-word is as popular here as it is anywhere, but in the true spirit of Kiwi inventiveness, Kiwis have created their own, New Zealand-specific applications. I think sheepf@cker is my favorite. Although, it should be noted, this is as often said about them rather than by them. If you're over eighteen, click here to see some classic New Zealand/Australia banter. If you're not eighteen click here, Also, I apologize for being a morally destructive influence in your life.

4 comments:

  1. But, like a loveable London tramp, it has wandered, working its way into the hearts of New Zealanders along the way.

    I love this sentence. Sentence of the week! Like the littlest Hobo.
    And something about that cartoon cracks me up.
    Make sure to read the previous blogs comments because Mom has been commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came from Molly's apartment where she pulled out a list you and her made last Feb. About your ideal man. Sound like Noel Fielding much?
    -not an American
    -cool accent
    -hygienic
    -good taste in music, movies, t.v.
    -sense of irony
    -ambitious
    -loves television
    -tidy
    -good sense of fashion
    -no pets
    -witty
    -not afraid of acting gay
    -hilarious
    -sensitive eyes
    -symmetrical
    -dark features
    -compact
    (And Drum Roll......)
    UNIQUE FACE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those lists we made... the only criteria I remember from mine are 1.)is not afraid to wear color, 2.)studies an obscure science, and 3.)is so dangerous that we have to have a safe word. I'm sure I threw it out in embarrassment, right after you and Molly left and I had to clean up saltine crumbs off of my carpet BY HAND.

    For some reason, I really like "sheepf@cker." I'll remember that one next time I'm baking something and it doesn't turn out. Can you yell that at a deflated soufflé, or is getting mad at inanimate objects only your thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing that list makes me feel like a schizophrenic having a “revelation” elevating their bizarre fantasy into a clinical delusion. But what’s the use of fighting fate? Trying not to obsess about The Mighty Boosh is trying to fundamentally change who I am, and that’s frankly impossible. You cannot make milk into cheese. If the universe didn’t want me to love The Mighty Boosh so much, it wouldn’t have allowed Noel Fielding to be so goddamned beautiful. Or provided easy access to all the episodes of veho.com. Victory for Rachel Thomas, multi-nation culture blogging sensation!
    Libbie, I think you did have a short list but I can remember at least one more requirement: Must be so manly he has to shave twice a day.
    I’d never tell anyone they can’t swear. In fact, I think obscenity (verbal or physical) is a crucial component of French desert making. I hear the only fail-proof method for soufflĂ©s is mixing them half naked while angrily arguing (in French) about the derivative nature of American pastry making. But you can try yelling sheepf@cker and see how that goes. Oh, and I’d apologize for the saltines (again!) but we all know how much you love to play victim.

    ReplyDelete