Thursday, July 30, 2009

Auckland Trip: Part Duex

I know I'm very late posting about this and I do apologize but the honest truth is that my trip was not terribly interesting. In case you don't know, I went back to Auckland last Saturday/Sunday with Lisa, Sanna, and a Chinese girl named Joanna. The purpose of our trip was to find dresses and shoes for the ball this weekend. To that end, we spent most of the the trip shopping. This was exciting for me, but probably not exciting to read about. I bought some clothes and I promise to upload pictures when I get around to taking them. Probably the most noteworthy event was a sales clerk telling me I should have been cast as Hermoine in Harry Potter. I think that's the fourth time I've been told that since I got here in New Zealand. I'm not too upset though because I saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last week and I thought Hermione's hair looked pretty damn awesome. I've been trying with various levels of success to recreate her hair. I think I end up looking more like a Colorado City bride or the crazy cat lady but I just go with it. Also awesome: Luna's tights at Slughorn's Christmas party. I want a pair so badly it makes my heart hurt. In fact, I thought her whole outfit was pretty cool even though she's obviously meant to be an object of ridicule.
But I digress... Wye stayed overnight in a charming bed and breakfast. I was wary about staying in a hostile so I was shocked when I saw how nice the place was. It really was a bed and breakfast. I had a hard time understanding why it was cheap until night came. It was like sleeping in a freezer.
We spent the second day sightseeing...sort of. Joanna had to be back in Hamilton by five and she didn't want to take the two-hour bus ride back alone so I agreed to go with her. This meant we only had time for a ferry to Devonport which is across the W? Bay, instead of one the offshore islands which are supposed to be quite beautiful. Devonport reminded me of towns along the California coast: small art galleries and unaffordable restaurants. Still, it was nice to walk around. There is a hill which allows for incredible views of Auckland:






Kate Bush






After Devonport we went back to the Asian food court one..last...time. I had five dollar sushi. It was seriously delicious. Then Joanna and I had to leave. I wasn't too sorry though because I had a terrible cold and was getting quite grumpy. I tried to be chipper but I think I failed, as evidenced by this picture:
The angry ferry ride to Devonport
Overall, it was a nice trip. Auckland is pretty much like any other big city except perhaps a little more relaxed. And it has things like these:

1 comment:

  1. Rachel!!! I love you so much! Sounds like you're definitely having an awesome time! :) And you seriously have an awesome blog! It's the only blog I check regularly that I don't just read to make fun of the stupidity of the blogger.

    I don't have anything cool enough to say to be able to comment on each of your posts, so I chose this one since it has Evanna Lynch. So much love. :) I thought of you when I saw her sweet-as tights!!!!

    ReplyDelete