Sunday, July 19, 2009

Auckland Trip

High-tech panoramic view of Auckland and Waitemata Harbour
Every year the Uuniversity organizes a trip for the international students. This year's trip was a bus tour through Auckland, New Zealand's biggest city, given by some of the university's international coordinators. Auckland has a population about about 1.2 million people meaning roughly a quarter of the entire population of New Zealand. It's a proper city with restaurants, shopping centers and tall buildings. In fact, Auckland is home to SkyCity, the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere. I did not get to see it though, or much of anything else in Auckland since we were too late getting started to do any of the things planned for our tour . Well, not any of it. We did complete the first item on our itinerary, which was a trip up Mount Eden, Auckland's highest extinct volcano. I hate to be an ethnocentrist but in America we would call it a hill. With lots of sheep on it. To be fair, it was high enough to be windy on top. unbelievably windy, in fact. I had a hard time keeping balance so I apologize for the poor quality of my pictures. The nice ones are probably my flatmate Lisa's.
There is a lovely monument on top of the volcano/mountain/hill but I can't tell you what it's about because it was too windy for me to read the plaque. Here are some pictures to prove how windy it was:


Perhaps even more exciting that the volcano was my first up close and personal interaction with sheep. And there were a crapload of them. My general impression of them is still that they're cute, but self-aware and very angry, like the one on the left. He baahed at me and strutted away rather pissily after I took that picture.
After Mount Eden the bus dropped us off in the center of the city. Joanna (Chinese girl in the top right windy photo) has lived in New Zealand for a year so she enthusiastically offered to give several of us a tour and take us to a "real" Chinese restaurant. I was quite excited to see what Marge Simpson would describe as sleeping, upside-down, inside-out ducks in the restaurant window because I've always wanted to try duck. Turns out it's almost exactly like the dark meat of turkey except greasier. Not bad, but I wish I'd been more adventurous and ordered the Eggplant with Salted Fish. Guess there's next time. I'd like to mention here that I did a respectable job eating with chopsticks.

Shredded duck, Pork Soup, Jasmine Tea and somewhat successfully using chopsticks
After we finished eating Joanna took us to the harbor. Once we got there we had to promptly leave in order to catch the bus back. This post isn't finished but I'm posting it anyway because I figure I owe you guys something. I have to go to class now.

9 comments:

  1. Proper? Flat? You're already so affected. Jokey, jokey, I didn't mean it. I love that pictue of the three of you laughing, it is so cute! And the Simpsons reference, I hadn't thought of that joke in years. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job with the chopsticks!

    And I'm way happy that you have pictures with you in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My earlier draft said I was keen to try duck but I thought that might be overkill. I really love that word, though and the way they say "I reckon..."
    I was thinking about color-coding all my Boosh references but I can't decide on a color. Red? Can you change the color of your comments? Is that too much? I don't know how to do footnotes or I absolutely would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word "keen" too and "I reckon" always reminds me of the Old West. They're both American words. As for the colour I would go with an electric blue or a neon pink. Its a big day for US Boosh fans, the DVDs come out. They have ads all over the AV Club website and they freak me out everytime! I'll be reading the latest HATER article and then Naboo's face pops up and I'm like what? what's going on? where am I? It's disorientating. And I second Courtney's comment, it's great to see you in the pictures as well and your friends look really nice. After all - as a wise man once said to his coconut friend - it's not where you are in this world, but the company you keep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goddamnit! I have to watch Milky Joe now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing. just amazing. your next post should be dedicated to all the hot males you have met.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Electric blue was my second thought!
    I didn't want to say so in my post, but I think Tim is super hot. This first thing he said to me was that he thought I was 16.
    I'll post a better picture of his face if I can find one.
    If you guys think this postis good I'm just moving on because I have a lot more to write about.
    I have to go to the AV website now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god! AV club reviewing The Mighty Boosh tomorrow! My heart still pumping with rage at the negative comments. I had to stop reading after three. Cynical wankers don't understand love, I pity them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eh, what are you doing to do? Hipster douchebags all have black, shrivled hearts anyway. Sometimes I enjoy reading negative comments about the things I love though. My absolute favorite was when this person wrote in on imdb that she didn't like The Office (UK) because it was trying to hard to be the Briish Ally McBeal. She did a two paragraph review comparing the characters and everything. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete