Monday, July 13, 2009

Sorry's not good enough, Little Man!

Kia ora,
Okay, okay I'm sorry. I know I've been fairly terrible about this blog and I do apologize. But I'd also like to remind anyone who's complaining that I just moved away from home for the first time to a foreign country and until very recently was in very real danger of dying of hypothermia at any moment. I hope I didn't give anyone impression that I was upset or didn't like it here. New Zealand is astoundingly beautiful almost everywhere you look and the people are genuinely friendly. I am extremely glad I decided to come here. But I was definitely unprepared for the winter. However, now that I have my lovely heater my life has dramatically improved and I feel like my old self again. That is, I'm daydreaming about baking, clothes, The Mighty Boosh and back to drinking diet coke.
I suppose I should talk about my classes now. I am taking:
~Women in Society: Representations and Realities
~Health and the Body in Cross-Cultural Perspective
~Cognitive Psychology
~Introduction of Human Development
I'm particularly excited about the Health and Body class and the Psych class. The professor of my psych class is an American (New Mexico) and he seemed funny so I think the class will be fun. As part of the class we have labs where we duplicate computerized versions of classic experiments. I'm not sure if that'll be fun or just annoying but I guess I'll find out next week.

I'm less excited about the Human Development class. It's 100 level and I think I'd prefer something more advanced but I'm practicing making reasonable decisions and I decided sticking with it was the reasonable thing to do. Plus we watched this old science video from the BBC that used Pulp's Babies as background music. lPretty cool.
I think that's about all I have to say about the classes themselves so far. Each class has a lecture twice a week in addition to a tutorial or laboratory. I haven't had any of those this week so my schedule's been light but I'll be in class about 11 hours each week from now on. That's rather nice, especially since I don't have class on Friday. So there's all the mundane details of my schedule. Hopefully I can now post about more interesting things.
Cheers,
Rachel

1 comment: