Saturday, August 15, 2009

Any food is comfort food if you're sad enough.

It has come to my attention that most of my blog is about food and clothes. And I'm not
going to apologize like I usually do in the beginning of my blog entries because this is not going to change. These two things, after all, are core tenants of my being. Back in the old country, they served the vital function of distracting me from how incredibly boring my life is. I may live in a nearly uninhabitable desert populated by cockroaches and tumbleweeds but I can pretend my life has some semblance of glamour and excitement if I'm prancing around in metallic peeptoe pumps sipping ginger-infused mojitos and nibbling on chocolate raspberry pavlovas. Now that I live in New Zealand and my life is properly exciting, not much has changed. I still have pipe dreams of being a pastry chef/fashion designer. I still waste an inordinate amount of time on marthastewart.com and http://tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com/. I still dress like a fifties housewife and I still have an innate need to bake cookies. Which is why I'm introducing a new weekly feature. You'll see soon.

If this bothers you, consider this: Without food or fashion, all I'd have is my love of British pop culture. Just imagine if I had to pour all my obsessive, geeky energy into that. I'd be some grotesque caricature of a nerd instead of a fully realized human being. And I'd slip in a lot more pretentious British pronunciation/slang. So count your blessings. That being said, I will try to post more personal stuff- you know, like about my life and feelings and stuff. I'm working on a "Ten Secrets You Don't Know About Rachel" list like the kind that seem to be so popular among Internet folk.

I want y'all to know that I really, really appreciate your comments. Like so many aspects of my life I find myself riding an emotional roller coaster while blogging. First I get excited, then I feel inadequate because I can't think of anything clever to say and then I get frustrated and give up and post before I'm finished because I know the post is overdue. Your comments validate my struggle and repair my fragile, fragile self-esteem. I'm a delicate flower.

Even if I'm not successful, I really do try to make my blog entertaining for everyone. I should explicitly state now, in case you haven't noticed, that some of the pictures (usually the ones I didn't take) are linked to "surprises". I hope you'll enjoy them.

6 comments:

  1. Rachel, I think I can truthfully say that I enjoy your blog, and you know I don't give a second thought to being blunt if I don't like something (or someone). I feel that you adequately cater to your demographic, and when I read your words, I feel as if I am saying them. Sometimes, I pretend it's my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I love your blog. I Love reading everything you write! I even enjoy reading about the kiwi food of the week. This blog is so choice, I would highly recommend it to anyone. I think Noel Fielding is probably an avid reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't describe your style as 50's housewife. It's a lot more original than that. With my know-nothing-knowledge of fashion I would say that your look is less traditional, with more color and bold mix and matching. If that makes sense, I just don't think describing yourself as looking like a 50's housewife who likes to make cookies is representative of your personality. And I have clearly taken this blog too seriously, I was just trying to think of something to post. Sorry. Umm...something funny, something funny.....uh.....hmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I just typed your headline into google to see if it was from somewhere and your blog was the first link I got. I don't know if it has something to do with it being a bookmark on our page, but still, that is well creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this is really your Mom, not Carolyn. Naturally, I don't have a google account, because that is so not me. I love reading your blog and think you are inordinately clever and sophisticated, but of course I am your mother. Actually, you really are clever and sophisticated. As soon as I saw that you made coconut and lime cookies, I thought "that is something only a person with a sophisticated palate would choose." Take care. Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, so many compliments! I think I’m going to write about my insecurities a lot more.
    Carolyn, I wrote fifties housewife because of my preference for belted A-line skirts with hose and a cardigan. I wanted to write “a futuristic, tart-y fifties housewife who doesn’t mind showing her legs or being talked about and can’t be bothered to do her hair” but that seemed a bit too long and complicated. The post title isn’t from anything- it appears I had an original thought. Tell mom that I appreciate her words but if she really loved me she’d get a google account and compliment me while pretending to be a hot guy. Also, I promise not to make any "sophisticated" lime cookies when I come back.

    ReplyDelete