Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kiwi Food of the Week

Since probably heard me a prattle on about this week's food even when you clearly weren't interested, I doubt it needs much of an introduction. But it seems wrong to ignore the rich history of this food, a national icon so ingrained in New Zealand culture it's become part of their everyday lexicon. (Supposedly, I haven't heard verbal evidence yet.) But I know better than to beat a dead fish, er, horse. So, without further ado...

"chocolate fish"

That's right, Rachel had her first chocolate fish. Because of the hype I've created in my mind surrounding chocolate fish I was waiting for a special occasion to buy my first "choky" fish. (Actually, I was waiting for someone to give me one, if I'm being honest.) But, like most things designed to attract children, I found the brightly colored wrapper irresistible. The verdict?


Eating this was sadly anticlimactic. As in, it was frankly terrible candy. Of course it cost roughly $0.25 US so I shouldn't have had such high expectations. But having reasonable expectations is not one of my strengths. The raspberry marshmallow center was tough and dry. It really made me appreciate my homemade strawberry marshmallows, which I still have a scar from. And the chocolate coating was too thin to have taste. Don't cry for me, though-there's plenty of varieties to try and try I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment